The Evolution Of The Dragon Vent
Tim Daly formed Custom Rangehoods in 2004 to meet the need for a quality rangehood installation service in the midst of the West Australian resources boom. The business grew quickly and with the knowledge gained from installing and venting rangehoods across Perth, it became clear that the industry would benefit from a well designed venting system. We started to design our system with three simple rules:
- Bushfire Compliant (BAL rated);
- Wind resistant (to cyclone strength);
- Aesthetically pleasing.
First we designed and fabricated our new vent and sent it to the National Association of Steelframe Housing in Victoria and they confirmed that we were compliant up to and including BAL FZ (Fire Zone) for steel framed roofs. We worked on and in September 2016, the final prototype was independently wind tunnel tested, and found to be both wind resistant and watertight and due to it’s low profile, ideal to withstand high winds in cyclone prone areas. This was the final step and we prior to branded our new roof vent the Dragon DV 280.
A year later Schneider Clipsal ran a series of tests pairing our products with the Clipsal CEF40WE exhaust fan and after extensive testing our range of Dragon roof, wall and eaves vents got the tick of approval to use with either a single or double set of CEF40WE exhaust fans … and since then we have been very busy and a few of our highlights are:
- 2017 – Supplied R.B.D Building with over 90 Dragon vents to be fitted to homes effected by a hailstorm in the town of Kambalda;
- 2018 – The Dragon DV280 roof vent was an integral part of an award-winning home built by Ryan Coles home (focused on energy efficient builds);
- 2018 – All Dragon Vents are patented and inline with the original Dragon DV280, built to BAL 40 rating;
- 2018 – Dragon Vents Australia become the main supplier of custom-made B.A.L kits for Schweigen 1600 external motors to meet BAL regulations;
- 2019 – The range of vents is expanded to include single and dual 150mm outlet Wall vents (allowing two appliances to be connected to the one vent);
- 2019 – A range of flush mounted Eaves vents with dual outlets is fabricated (allowing 2 extraction appliances from the one vent or a single appliance ducted to one side and the second outlet left to allow airflow to the roof space. This concept is perfect for roof space air extraction vent as it allows fresh air through the eaves and pushes the warm air to the top of the roof towards the ridge vent.
- 2020 – With a rebrand to Home Venting Solutions the company currently services ¬70% of the project builders in Perth and supports a large section of the retail and service market.
- 2021 – Recognised service agents for Schweigen, Falmac and Whispair and the creation of a new dragon! The drain-waste vent system (colloquially known as the ‘Stinky Dragon’) was designed to replace the plastic, non-mesh pipe that allows air to enter a plumbing system to maintain proper air pressure that then enables the removal of sewage and greywater from a dwelling.
Our Mission: To revolutionise venting systems in Australia and give every customer a purpose built rangehood exhaust vent system that will enhance the efficiency of their chosen kitchen or BBQ rangehood.
Why: At Home Venting Solutions we place an emphasis on the safety of your family, which is one of the reasons we started to look at improving the efficiency of both indoor and outdoor rangehoods.